Tomato Cream Pasta
Here we are again, with another SUPER CHEAP family meal! This is Week 2 of our $10 Meal Challenge! Let me just say, this is a comfort food I didn’t know I was missing in my life. Brought to you from the great Pioneer Woman herself – look for direct link below. What I love about this meal is it is so easy, so versatile, and has a finished gourmet look. Now, rarely do I ever follow a recipe exactly, even if they do come from the Great One herself – sorry Ree – so her original recipe will be linked, but I’m going to give you my own spin off.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Tomato Sauce – get the store brand for like $0.69
- Cream – I got a pint of Half & Half for $1.49
- Noodles – literally wherever you get your noodles, there is ALWAYS a pack for $1
- Cheese – I used shredded mozzerlla – about $2.49 for a small bag
So far, we’re at 5 bucks and change for your basic dish – this is assuming you have garlic and onion, and your preferred spices. Now, this dish is AWESOME meatless, but if you (or your husband) can’t stand the thought of no meat at dinner, throw in some shredded chicken, burger, shrimp, whatever you have – this meal is SO flexible. Now, because I wouldn’t tell you to try something without trying it myself, I had it exactly as described above, meatless. As did my kids, my husband, and my father-in-law. I got no complaints for skipping the meat this night, and it was a big hit all around! I fed 5 people, and had plenty to go around!
How I Did It
For starters, I found a WOOHOO deal on garlic bread at Kroger – so it was 99 cents for garlic bread in the deli, or you can make your own – so I threw that in the oven.
I used bowtie noodles – because I have an obsession with them – and got those in a pot to boil.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Chop up some garlic and onion to saute (or forgo the chopping and add the powders – which is what I did this time).
- Pour your tomato sauce in a pan, over medium heat and add spices – I used the same spices I would if making spaghetti sauce, garlic, onion, oregano, bay leaf, basil, salt and pepper. (Don’t forget to remove your bay leaf)
- Stir often, not constant, let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add about a cup of cream and stir it in.
- Add some cheese – if you go crazy with shredded it WILL get stringy. Parmesan is fine though.
Pull the bread out of the oven before it burns! Hey, sometimes we forget it, and that’s OK!
Then drain your noodles.
Pro Tip: Toss your noodles in a smidgen of olive oil and some Parmesan cheese. This will keep the noodles from sticking together while helping your sauce cling to your noodles.
Plate it up and garnish with chopped fresh basil or parsley. Check it out….. yummmmmm
Here is the link to the original Pioneer Woman recipe>>> https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/pasta-with-tomato-cream-sauce-2532878
OTHER NOODLES TO TRY WITH THIS SAUCE:
- Frozen Cheese Ravioli
Try it, and let me know how you like it! Share your own spin-off recipes on my FB Page!
Until next time!