25+ Ideas for Quality Family Time
Do you ever feel like you are just stuck on autopilot? You have a thousand things going on at any given time. School, work, kids, spouse, friends, laundry, grocery shopping, budgeting your money, paying bills, cooking dinners and trying to meal prep – need I continue? We live in an era of technology where everything is at our fingertips, but sometimes that can be overwhelming. We have an unlimited amount of information and entertainment to sort through. BUT, that doesn’t help with our chores and it doesn’t help with personal connection.
The family dynamic is changing. Now we can text each other from the other room. We can talk all day via texting or Facebook messaging. There’s virtually no need to speak face to face anymore. So where does that leave our family time? What kind of experiences and memories are we creating with a phone in our hand like a second skin?
Believe me, I feel you! Don’t worry, we have solutions. I have compiled a list of 25+ ideas for quality family time! These are things that don’t take a lot of time or money but it’s simply about making memories with those you love. From fun things to do with your kiddos to sweet 1-on-1 time with your significant other. We all need to break away from the constant stream of social media notifications, work emails, and plain ole’ mind numbing habits we’ve developed relating to our phones.
“There’s only one thing more precious than our time and that’s who we spend it on.”Leo Christopher
Daytime Family Fun
- Take a scenic hike
- Have a picnic
- Go to an ice cream parlor
- Go on a bike ride
- Lay on a blanket and watch the clouds – use your imagination!
- Visit a petting zoo
- Explore your town’s history by visiting local monuments
- Find an inspiring spot and paint it
- Paint rocks! (We thoroughly enjoy rock painting, especially when we find our own funky shaped ones)
- Visit a farmers market and try new things
- Stop at yard sales and compete to find the coolest items
- Take a class together (like a junior chef class for kids)
- Take a day trip to a lake or state park
- Go fishing
- Explore and identify new plants (Check out the plantsnap app – available in the Google playstore)
- Start a flower bed or herb garden – in a planter box if you don’t have yard space
Evening/Rainy Day Family Fun
- Play a board game
- Do a science experiment (check this link out>>> http://www.sciencefun.org/kidszone/experiments/ )
- Bake/decorate something together (cookies,cupcakes, pie, etc.)
- Rent a movie, pop some popcorn, turn out the lights and have a family movie night
- Build a fort – add twinkle lights for extra magic
- Do a craft activity (DIY magnets, centerpieces, ornaments, wall decor, etc)
- Make your own movie
- Have a dance party
- Sing karaoke or put on a “concert”
- Read a book
- Play dress up
- Scavenger hunt for items inside
Build a fort & add twinkle lights for the ultimate magical evening
This is really just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many ways we can build and maintain deep family connections by spending good, wholesome, quality time together. But the first step is disconnecting for a second and taking the time to spend the time. I hope you found some of these helpful and insightful. What fun activities do you enjoy doing as a family? Leave a comment and let me know!
Until next time, lots of love!